Friday, July 23, 2010

A Diamond In The Rough

There is so much work that goes into fixing up a century home. When I look around and think about it, it is almost overwhelming. But there are so many neat things about owning a century home. Here are a few that we have found in our place:

Neat old wood floors that look like this:

But can be turned into this:

And even this:
From neat old door knobs (which are all over the house and use those cool old keys):


To pretty antique light fixtures:


We were lucky enough to acquire some antique furniture with the house (along with a lot of not-so-wanted items, more on that later). There are several antique stores around and it is fun to look and find things that fit with our old home.

We saw this and just knew it had to be ours (this used to be a pig farm):

Isn't it cute? It's a little worse for wear with a fair amount of rust but I just love it and think it fits right in here!

There are so many gems to be found, I look forward to sharing more, as I find them!

2 comments:

Musings of a Housewife said...

The floor is GORGEOUS and I love that antique door knob. I once owned a 100-year-old home and I loved the quaint touches. I miss that character in this 6-y/o house.

Claudia Lawrence said...

hi harmony, nice post & good blog, i think u must try this site to increase traffic. have a nice day & keep blogging!!!